Animal Control


Christa Pouthier



Town Resolution (Dogs in the Town of Colden)

Love Me License Me

New York State Law requires all dogs over the age of four (4) months to be licensed. You can license your dog at the Town Clerk's office during normal business hours (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday). A copy of a valid rabies certificate for the dog to be licensed is required at the time of license purchase. License fees are $5.oo for a spayed/neutered dog and $13.00 for any dog that has not been spayed or neutered. If your dog is picked up and not licensed with the town you will not be able to have your dog returned until it is licensed.

All dogs that are picked up are taken to the town's shelter and held for up to 6 days. After the 6th day the dog will be transferred to an appropriate rescue group depending on the breed and temperament of the dog.

Pick up fees are $25.00 plus $15.00 per day kennel fee.

Any stray dogs should be reported to 941-1DOG.

New York State Law and Town Law require all dogs be properly identified with a valid license tag. You receive this when you license your dog for the first time. If lost, a new tag can be purchased for $3.00 from the Town Clerk.

NY Agriculture & Markets Law - Article 7 items

  • No dog shall damage or destroy the property of another person
  • No dog shall attack, bite or make fearful of any person or domestic animal
  • No dog shall continually bark, howl, whine or make any other long noise that shall disturb the comfort or repose of any other person
  • No more than three (3) dogs shall dwell at a residence without a valid kennel permit. For more information on kennel permits please contact the Town Clerk's office (941-5012)
  • No dog shall run at large in the Town of Colden
  • No dog shall be any place in the town unless restrained by a chain or leash not exceeding six (6) feet
  • No dog shall be permitted to urinate or defecate on public or private property

A Few Notes from the dog control officer

  • Take care of your pets. License them and make sure there tags are on them. Clean up after them. It makes friends and neighbors less likely to become upset with you or your pet.
  • If your dog is a barker do everything in your power to make sure he/she does not disturb the people around you. Barking collars and training classes are available. Start them at a young age.
  • All animal bites must be reported to the Dog Control Officer or the Erie County Sheriffs.
  • If your pet gets into a fight with a wild animal, report it immediately to an emergency vet and local enforcement. Your safety along with your pet's safety could be at risk.
  • The Town dog census will take place over the spring and summer. We as Dog Control Officers are required to count all the dogs in the Town.
  • Please remember, Dog Control Officers are here to uphold all laws pertaining to dogs. Please feel free to call with any questions that you might have. If we cannot answer something, we can point you in the right direction.

If you are no longer able to care for your dog you may contact Christa for advice and options that are available. In appropriate situations the dog may be able to be surrendered after completing a surrender form.

Town of Colden • PO Box 335 • 8812 State Road • Colden, NY • 14033 • (716) 941-5012
Email questions, comments or corrections to Webmaster